Diamond Clarity Refers to the Absence of Inclusions and Blemishes. Since natural diamond are created by enormous pressure and other factors within the earth so no two diamonds are ever alike. As such, the clarity of each diamond will be slightly different so the diamond clarity is used to further help determine a diamonds value. Inclusions are tiny imperfections within each diamond. A diamond with very few inclusions will have a high clarity and thus be valued higher.
We use the GIA (Gemological Institute of America) scale of clarity.
– this is the highest level of clarity possible. Implying that the diamond is perfect. Also making these diamonds the most valued and expensive.
– No inclusions or blemishes are visible to a skilled grader using 10× magnification
Internally Flawless (IF)
– No inclusions and only blemishes are visible to a skilled grader using 10× magnification
Very, Very Slightly Included (VVS1 and VVS2)
– Inclusions are difficult for a skilled grader to see under 10× magnification
Very Slightly Included (VS1 and VS2)
– Inclusions are minor and range from difficult to somewhat easy for a skilled grader to see under 10x magnification
Slightly Included (SI1 and SI2)
– Inclusions are noticeable to a skilled grader under 10x magnification
Included (I1, I2, and I3)
– Inclusions are obvious under 10× magnification and may affect transparency and brilliance.
Get in touch and talk to one of our diamond experts who can answer all of your questions and even show you examples of each diamond.